Our Greater Saint John organization was formed in March 2013 and is the seventh Canadian 100 Women Who Care group, and New Brunswick's first. We are proud to say that we have a membership of over 250 and in only eighteen meetings we have raised more than $432,459.00 for local charities in our region!
Our first meeting was held on Tuesday, June 4th, 2013, where we raised $18,500 for the Saint John SPCA Animal Rescue League. "It's clear with so many new members jumping on board that women continue to be inspired by our organization's efficient and meaningful work", noted Debbie Rathwell, co-founder. "We had a feeling that our vision of local women giving back to local charities would be appealing locally, but we've been thrilled with how quickly the membership has grown. With a donation of $100 from each member each time, our group has been able to make additional contributions quarterly to Romero House ($22,800), First Steps Housing ($26,600), The Community Autism Centre ($28,863), The Saint John Learning Exchange ($25,800) The Joshua Group ($25,600), Safe Harbour ($24,750) the Teen Resource Centre ($24,965), Hestia House ($24,500), Sophia Recovery Centre ($26,281), Sistema NB Saint John Centre ($24,270) Outflow Ministries' Men's Shelter ($23,567), The ONE Change Inc. ($25,063); Shining Horizons Therapeutic Riding Association ($23,500),The North End Food Bank ($22,000), The Cherry Brook Zoo ($21,600), The KV Oasis Youth Centre (21,700). Most recently, on September 5, 2017, we donated $21,200 to The Saint John Community Food Basket.
Debbie Rathwell, Founder of the Greater Saint John Chapter, knew immediately upon about the 100 Women organization that this was it. “I’ve been looking for a way to contribute, a way to give back," she said. "This one just resonated with me – it’s the right.” There was no question in Debbie's mind that she had to take this on – the fire within had been lit!
Debbie knew she couldn’t do it alone and approached Kelly Patterson, another woman passionate about the community in which she lives. Kelly’s response was “Absolutely, count me in!” Who knew that this simple goal of gathering 100 women together could make such a huge impact on our communities in Greater Saint John?
The first 100 Women Who Care group was formed in November 2006 by Karen Dunigan of Jackson, Michigan. At their first one-hour meeting, this 100 Women Who Care group raised $10,000 to buy 300 new baby cribs for an organization in their city! In total there are now 47 chapters in the US and 5 in Canada – now that’s impressive! Halifax launched in March 2013, and now us!
Together – This is Where the Magic Happens:
- Bring together 100 (or more) women in Greater Saint John who care about local community causes and who are committed to community service.
- Meet for an hour.
- Jointly select a local charity or not-for-profit organization (nominated ahead of time).
- Each write a $100 to the selected organization and watch how the group’s commitment turns into a $10,000+ donation.
- Do that four times a year and witness how $40,000 can improve the lives of our neighbours when placed in the hands of deserving grass-roots agencies working to serve the local community.
- are committed to helping others in our community but are stretched for time;
- want to be part of a powerful group of local women making an immediate, direct and positive effect on the lives of our neighbours;
- want 100% of your donation to go directly to local charity, or;
- want to more about the many worthy community service and organizations servicing Greater Saint John...
Our next meeting is on Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at Lily Lake Pavilion from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm. In order to receive an invitation to the meeting, you will need to complete a Commitment Form, found on the "Join Us" tab. Mark Your Calendar Now!
Future Meeting Dates (2017)
Tuesday, December 5, 2017
Future Meeting Dates (2018):
February 27, 2018
June 5, 2018
September 4, 2018
December 4, 2018
Feel free to spread the word!